Risks are defined as the detriment arising from an attacker launching an attack, in the form of a threat, exploiting a system weakness, in the form of a vulnerability. Associated with each risk is a Misuse Case. A Misuse Case describes how the attacker (or attackers) behind the risk’s threat exploits the risk’s vulnerability to realise the risk.
The current status of Risk Analysis can be quickly ascertained by viewing the Risk Analysis model. This displays the current risks, the artifacts contributing to the risk, and the artifacts which potentially mitigate it.
Adding, updating, and deleting a risk¶
- Select the Risk/Risks menu to open the Risks table, and click on the Add button to open the Risk dialog form.
- Enter a risk name and select a threat and vulnerability from the respective combo boxes. A risk is valid only if the threat and vulnerability exist within the same environment (or environments).
- Highlighting the environment name in the environment box displays a qualitative risk rating, and the mitigated and un-mitigated risk score associated with each risk response. To see how this score is calculated, click on the Show Details button.
- Before a risk can be created, an associated Misuse Case needs to be defined. To do this, click on the Create Misuse Case button to open the Misuse Case Dialog.
- Most of the fields in the Misuse Case form have already been completed based on the risk analysis carried out up to this point. Click on the Narrative tab and enter a scenario which describes how the attacker realises the associated risk, i.e. carries out the threat by exploiting the vulnerability. The scenario written should be written in line with the attributes and values displayed in the Summary tab.
- Click on the Create button to create the Misuse Case and close the Misuse Case form. Following this, click Create add the new risk.
- Existing risks can be modified by clicking on the risk in the Risks table, making the necessary changes, and clicking on the Update button.
- To delete a risk, click the Delete button next to the risk to be removed in the Risks table. If any artifacts are dependent on this risk then a dialog box stating these dependencies are displayed. The user has the option of selecting Yes to remove the risk dependencies and the risk itself, or No to cancel the deletion.
Risk Analysis model¶
Risk Analysis models can be viewed by clicking on the Model/Risks Model menu, and selecting the environment to view the environment for.
By changing the environment name in the environment combo box, the risk analysis model for a different environment can be viewed. The layout of the model can also be replaced by selecting a layout option in the Layout combo box at the foot of the model viewer window.
By clicking on a model element, information about that artifact can be viewed.
The risk analysis model can also be filtered by artifact type and artifact type. Filtering by type displays only the artifacts of the filtered type, and its directly associated assets. Filtering by artifact name displays only the filtered artifact, and its directly associated artifacts.
For details on how to print models as SVG files, see the `Viewing Asset models`_ section.